(Click photo for larger version. Press Back button to return here.)
Clarence Arcade is a short covered Victorian shopping arcade of the sort that were the fore-runners of today's modern traffic-free shopping malls!
Clarence Arcade was built in 1894 and is Tameside's only covered Victorian shopping arcade. It ran parallel with Stamford Street, at that time the town's main shopping street, with a decorative entrance at each end.
For the first half of its existence it would have been a thriving honeypot for shoppers but, as Stamford Street's importance as a shopping venue waned, so did the fortunes of Clarence Arcade.
The Arcade has had a refurbishment in recent years and the former shop units are now mostly occupied by offices. While this means that this little corner of Victoriana has been saved, the Arcade which once echoed with the voices of crowds of shoppers is now eerily silent.
"Clarence Arcade" is a contribution to Monochrome Weekend. Please follow the link to visit other sites taking part.
Red army - Lined up two by two, in the Springs Branch Canal by the marina in Skipton, an army of hire boats waiting for the summer season. They belong to Pennine Cr...
2 hours ago